What Are Skin Tags?
Skin tags are small, skin-colored bumps that are often confused with warts. They are also called acrochordons, fibroepithelial polyp, cutaneous papilloma, and soft fibroma. These skin abnormalities are made up of blood vessels and loose collagen fibers. Collagen is a protein found in the skin. It gives your bones muscles and tissues structure and definition.
How Can You Identify A Skin Tag?
There are a few qualities that set skin tags apart from other skin lesions. Some of them are mentioned below,
- Skin lesions are quite a common phenomenon.
- They are harmless and are no cause for concern.
- These benign growths can be pink, flesh-colored, brown or black in the beginning. It might change colors with time.
- They can be raised or at an elevated level
- Skin tags can occur in any part of your body
- It is a cause of concern if these skin lesions are itchy, bleeding, or scabbed. If your skin tag is showing an abnormal increase or decrease in size, you might want to consult a doctor.
They often form in areas where the skin is irritated by clothes that cause friction or suffocating fabrics that don’t let the skin breathe. Such as,
What Causes Skin Tags?
Contrary to popular belief, skin lesions are in fact very common. People over the age of 50 are prone to getting these skin abnormalities. The development of skin tags is found in people suffering from diabetes or people who are obese or overweight. In cases of chub rub, or when your skin rubs against clothes or skin, it creates friction. This friction, which is common in overweight people, is what causes these skin abnormalities. It can also be a reason why they occur often in the crevices and folds of your body.
Another reason why these benign growths form on your body is if you wear tight restrictive clothing. Fitted clothing tends to cling to your body, not allowing the skin to breathe. Tight clothing can also cause friction and develop further skin tags. Pregnancy, family history, and insulin resistance are also possible causes for skin tags to develop on your body.
Ensuring a healthy body mass index is one way you can help in preventing these benign growths.
How Can You Get Rid Of Skin Tags?
These don’t pose any health or skin risk even if left untreated. However since these skin tags are of a darker shade than your natural skin tone, they might be bothersome or not very pretty to look at. Your dermatologist might suggest some of these methods remove your skin tag.
- Skin tag removal cream: Over the counter creams and other topical applications like creams and lotions are effective for skin tag removal. Walmart has a wide selection of skin tag removal creams that are recommended by doctors for getting rid of skin tags.
- Ligation: With a string
- Using iodine drops
- Cutting through surgical methods
- Cauterization: burning the skin tag off
- Cryotherapy: freezing with liquid nitrogen
The above-mentioned methods may be quick, but using natural treatments are always a better and safer option.
Home Remedies For Skin Tags
- Tea tree oil has antifungal properties that help in removing skin tags. Just use a Q-tip to dab the oil on the affected area. You can buy Tea Tree oil and the Q tips at local departmental stores, like Walmart.
- A banana peel can help in drying the skin tag off. Place a banana peel over the skin tag and secure it with a band-aid. The skin tag will fall off overnight.
- The acidic concentration of Apple cider vinegar will help in breaking down the tissue centering the skin tag. Dab a slight amount of apple cider vinegar on the affected area and leave it overnight. The skin tag is probable to fall off in the morning. It is important to buy 100% organic, unfiltered and unprocessed Apple cider vinegar in order to get the best results. Most stores don’t provide you with such high-quality ACV. However, you will find it on the counters of good departmental stores like Walmart.
- Regularly applying Vitamin E to the skin may help in fading the growth away. Walmart has a good selection of vitamin E in the form of oil, topical creams as well as capsules. Choose the best and high-quality version of Vitamin E in its purest form from an array of brands.
- Crushed Garlic cloves can help in shrinking the skin tag. The skin tag will disappear with time even if the process is repeated for a few days.
While the physical appearance of a skin tag may be unpleasant or irritating, there aren’t many reasons to remove them. Skin tags, for the most part, are harmless and do not grow back in almost all cases.
Why Walmart Is Great For Shopping
Departmental stores like Walmart have an excellent array of brands and variations that offer a lot of the products and services that you can avail in cases like treating skin tags.
Some major benefits of shopping from Walmart are mentioned below,
- Walmart is a great shopping center for low-income families. It has been helping people who can’t afford to spend on expensive products. They provide you with cheaper but good quality products.
- It has a varied selection of products. When it comes to treating skin tags, for example, Walmart has every basic necessity you would require. Right from cotton swabs or Q-tips to Tea Tree Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar. They also have a great selection of over the counter medications, such as skin tag removal creams.
- Outlets like these are well known for selling their products on great deals and low prices. This has gathered them a huge customer base.
- This departmental store clearly rules the food industry in the US. It has such a loyal customer base that it trumps even Amazon in grocery sales.
Walmart has an upper hand as it offers a great selection and variety of products at satisfactory prices. It is a one-stop shop for all your basic necessities.