What Are Skin Tags?
Skin tags are a small, harmless overgrowth of skin that can happen to people of all age group. These skin tags look like deflated balloons or as a head of a pin and they are nothing but loose fibers of collagen, which is a protein responsible for skin buildup. There is no definite cause of these skin tags but it is seen that it runs in the family. Also known as soft fibromas or acrochordons, these skin tags are small and harmless.
The size of these skin tags varies from 2-10 millimeter. Only in rare cases, they grow in size and they can grow up to the size of a grape. The common places where people get skin tags are listed below,
- Below your breast
- Near your vaginal and anal regions
- In the folds of the skin
There are various different rumors that circulate around about skin tags, one of them being that skin tags cause cancer which is not true. Skin tags do not cause any disease other than that sometimes they get stuck in your clothes or jewelry and bleed. Skin tags do not cause cancer but there is certain cancer that looks like skin tags. Thus, it is very important to get them diagnosed first before you go all DIY on them.
What Causes Skin Tags?
Although there is no definite cause of skin tags, the scientists have narrowed it down to a list of the most commonly seen causes. The list is down below,
- Pregnancy: During their maternity stage, women suffer from a lot of hormonal changes which might lead to skin tags.
- Friction: One of the most common causes of skin tags is friction. Whether its friction caused by skin to skin or skin to clothes. It is generally seen that skin tags occur mostly in the areas where the friction is maximum, like between your thighs or below your breasts, under your armpits etc.
- Obesity: Again, in obese people, the skin to skin or skin to clothes friction is more compared to thin people. Hence it is seen that the people who are obese, suffer from skin tags more.
- HPV: Mainly HPV causes STDs in people but sometimes it is seen that it even causes skin tags in some people.
- Genes: It is seen that skin tag runs in the family. So, if you’re someone in the family suffering from skin tags then there are high chances you will end up getting them too.
How To Identify A Skin Tag?
Skin tags look like small, deflated balloons or like the head of a pin. These appear where the friction is most like in your skin folds. In cases of vaginal skin tags, sometimes when they appear flat people mistake them for genital warts. That is why it is very important to consult your doctor when it comes to these ski tags. Also, they might be a shade darker than the skin surrounding the skin tag.
How To Get Rid Of Skin Tags?
There are a lot of methods to remove skin tags; both home remedies and expert methods. Home remedies are comparatively cheaper in comparison to the medical treatments and home remedies, you can easily get from a departmental store like CVS and all. CVS is a good choice if you’re going for the home remedies for skin tags as it has a reasonable price and you easily find all the ingredients you need for the treatment in there.
First, let’s talk about all the medical treatments that are available for skin tags before going for home remedies. There are basically four methods of removal available for skin tags. The list s down below,
- Surgical Methods: In this type of removal method your doctor will cut off the skin tag with a medical scalpel.
- Ligation: Your doctor will cut off the blood flow to your skin tag with a surgical thread.
- Cryotherapy: In this method, your doctor will freeze off the skin tag with liquid nitrogen.
- Cauterization: Again, in this method of removing your doctor will burn off the skin tag and then seal the blood vessels with an electrically charged device.
Easily Available Home Remedies For Skin Tags In CVS
You can also treat your skin tags at home all by yourself as well. These home remedies are preferred because they are much cheaper and effective compared to all the medical treatments. Also, all the ingredients you need for this skin tag removal at home are easily available in departmental stores like Amazon, CVS, Walmart etc. CVS might be a better option as it is much more reasonable when it comes to its prices and you easily find stuff there.
Some of the home remedies are listed below,
- A Banana peel will help you get rid of those nasty skin tags overnight. Just place a banana peel over your skin tag and fix it with a bandage. It’ll dry off the skin tag and the skin tag will fall off overnight.
- Tea tree oil is also a very good method of getting rid of skin tags. It has anti-fungal properties and easily gets rid of skin tags. Also, tea tree oil is very easy to find as well, you can just walk in a departmental store like say, the CVS and buy it.
- Apple cider vinegar is another effective way of removing skin tags. You can get this in stores like CVS but keep in mind to only buy the unfiltered, 100% organic and unprocessed apple cider vinegar only. Just dab it over your skin tag. It’ll break the tissue centering the skin tag and it will fall off on its own overnight. Keep in mind that most departmental stores don’t provide you with high-quality apple cider vinegar, so be careful while buying it.
Some of the reasons why it is better buying these ingredients off CVS is because the CVS are known for their good quality of products. It is a good place for families who have limited funds. Also, the CVS offer good offers on their purchases as well. You can always trust the quality of CVS as they are a well-known departmental store.