Don’t Let The Bump on Your Skin Be A Bump In Your Life!
When it comes to appearance, a small thing like a skin tag can also make you conscious of how you are looking. It is everyone’s desire to look and feel perfect and thus you always tend to get rid of anything that comes as an obstacle around it.
Skin tags can be one of those obstacles which actually do not cause any issue as such but, can make you anxious. These tags are very ugly to look and people can easily notice it.
What Are Skin Tags?
Skin Tags are small benign growth which doesn’t have any origin nor do they have any justified cause. These are comparatively harmless and do not cause any kind of pain until there in an external force over it. Skins tags can also be called with different names such as acrochordons, fibroepithelial polyp, cutaneous Papi, Loma, and soft fibroma. These tags can be pinkish in the beginning but with time they change color and becomes similar to the color of the skin. It is observed that these tags can turn dark due to hyperpigmentation.
These tags are usually seen under the neck area, groin, armpits, and even under the breast area. Skin tags are also visible in areas such as eyelids and under the buttock folds. When there is a lot of friction and rubbing of skin tags appear. Daily rubbing of skin with the skin makes the skin around that area thick and then skin tags are visible on that area.
What Causes Skin Tags?
Skin tags are basically an outgrowth which comes out of the skin. They are usually supported with the help of a stalk or stem-like structure called ‘Peduncle’. Usually, these skin tags are more pinkish but as they grow, they seem to change their color according to the color of the skin. Sometimes they even turn dark due to hyperpigmentation. Skin tags are nothing but useless bumps which look unappealing and they get wider as they go away from the skin. Usually ski,n tags are painless and do not cause any discomfort or risk to the body but it is always good to get them removed as they might lead to infections if it is scabbed or scratched.
Sometimes, these tags can pain if any external force is applied over it. Skin tags usually occur due to constant friction or rubbing of the skin. These tags are made up of collagen fibers and blood vessels. Collagen fibers present in the skin tags are normally the protein which is present in the areas which need extreme strengthening like the bones. There have been a lot of studies on what is the root cause of these skin tags but there no specific cause has been detected. Some of the reasons are pregnancy, obesity, people suffering from diabetes and also the people who are above sixty years of age. In pregnancy due to a lot of hormonal changes, skin tags can appear. Even when you have hyperinsulinemia, a condition in which the insulin level in blood increases, skin tags are seen.
Are Skin Tags Contagious?
There are no possibilities that skin tags can spread or even be contagious. It does not transfer from one person to another. It is usually misunderstood by people that by touching skin tags one will get it, but it is not true as it does not spread. Warts are small bumps which are contagious, they spread due to a virus called HPV. This virus can be contagious and usually spread by touch or even due to sexual contact.
Do Skin Tags Grow Back?
There are a lot of people who assume that if they remove one skin tag, they will get another one because of it, which is totally wrong as these tags are not connected with any each other. Skin tags can grow back but it is not related to the one you removed. Skin tags usually occur due to tremendous rubbing of skin on the skin which makes the skin around that area thick. They can be of flesh color or even darker due to hyperpigmentation around that area. So, the next time you get one more skin tag after getting rid of one it does not mean that these both were connected and you got the latter because of the first one.
Difference Between a Skin Tag And A Wart?
A skin tag is a small outgrowth followed by a stem or a stalk-like thing called a peduncle. They are not contagious and do not have any way through which it can spread. Whereas, warts are contagious and can spread in different through sexual contact, touching a contaminated surface or an infected individual.
Surgical Methods Of Removing A Skin Tag
Here are some of the surgical methods which can be used in order to get rid of a skin tag. It is always better to get it removed from a doctor as it is much safer.
- Cauterization: This process is also known as electrosurgery. It is one of the most used methods to get their skin tags removed. Normally the skin goes through burning at a very high temperature. Wires are used in this method to get rid of skin tags.
- Ligation: Ligation is also called thread method. Basically, in this method, the skin tags are removed with the help of a thread or a piece of dental floss. Clean the area properly with the help of some alcohol and then cut a small piece of a thread or a piece of floss and tie it over the tag, make sure the knot is tight enough to stop the blood circulation in the tag.
- Cryotherapy: It is one of the best ways to get rid of your skin tag. This method is also called the cold therapy method. In this method, the skin is exposed to freezing temperatures to stop the blood flow near it. It helps you numb the tag and thus it dries off and falls. Sometimes it is observed that it takes more than one session of cryotherapy to get rid of skin tags.
- Tag Removal Device: Many types of skin tag removal kits are available nowadays. The main work of this device is to stop the blood flow from the skin and let it dry. Once the skin tag is dried, it will fall off. This process usually takes four to five weeks for the tag to dry. After the tag falls off it takes a day or two to heal the area properly. It is necessary to keep the area clean as it might lead to various infections.
- Severing or cutting: This method is considered to be one of the most painful methods to remove skin tags. Scalpels and scissors are used to get rid of the tags.
- Tag removal creams: There are multiple types of tag removal creams available in the market which are helpful to get rid of skin tags. Apply the cream over the tag and make sure the skin tags and the area around it is clean while you apply it. Continue this procedure for like four weeks which is the maximum time for the tag to fall off.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Skin Tags
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is known for its antifungal and antibacterial properties. It also helps in curing inflammation. Clean the area around the tag and dab it with a dry cloth. Take a cue tip or a cotton ball and apply some apple cider vinegar to it. Slowly massage the cotton ball onto the skin tag and then cover the area with a band-aid so that the solution does not wipe off.
- Tea Tree Oil: This oil has tremendous benefits it has antibacterial properties and it is used for medicinal use since ages. It helps in curing skin diseases and it works best for getting rid of skin tags. Use a cotton ball and pour two to three drops of oil on it. Gently apply the oil to the skin and keep it for like 20-30 minutes. It is recommended to apply this oil at least twice a day to get the best results.
- Iodine: Iodine is one of the most effective of all the natural remedies for skin tags. Apply this directly on the tag and gently massage around it. Keeping continuing this process for two to three weeks until the tag falls off.
- Garlic: This is one of the most available ingredients which can be helpful to get rid of skin tags. This herb is known for its antifungal, anti-inflammatory properties and anti-bacterial properties. Take 2-3 cloves of garlic and crush them. Apply it on the skin tag at least twice a day, cover the area with a cloth or a bandage. Repeat the process daily in order to get the best results out of it.
- Oregano Oil: This oil works perfectly for skin tags. Apply this oil with a cotton ball and rub it a little. Continue this process for two weeks to get the best results.
Are Skin Tags Removal Kits Safe?
Yes, skin tags actually do not cause any harm to your body, but it is always better to get them removed to prevent yourself from any kind of infections due to scabbing or scratching. The process of removing skin tag is always safe if done by a professional. It is relatively safe to get it removed at home. They do not cause any harm and do not spread by any means. Although skin tags are not connected to each other it is possible for you to get more of these but they are not related.